A downloadable game creation system for Windows and Linux
ClassicZoo is a modern-day fork of the 1991 game creation system ZZT, aiming to stay close to the original ZZT 3.2 and Super ZZT codebases, while supporting modern systems and providing valuable quality-of-life improvements.
- Native support for DOS and new non-DOS platforms, modern and retro alike! Windows, Linux, PC-9801, Amiga.
- Built-in online browser for searching worlds, complete with a list of recommended worlds for ZZT newcomers.
- Increased limits - multi-megabyte worlds, 256 boards per world, 64-kilobyte boards.
- Significantly more powerful built-in editor - syntax highlighting, copying/pasting, improved documentation, exposing undocumented functionality.
- Stability and user experience improvements - while not compromising compatibility with existing worlds.
To run, launch either ZZT.EXE (for ZZT) or SUPERZ.EXE (for Super ZZT). Press "W" to load a world or "E" to open the editor! Note that ClassicZoo does not come with any game worlds by default - you can find them in-game by pressing "B" to browse the Museum of ZZT (including a list of recommendations), or by downloading them manually from some of the following lists:
There's built-in help available by pressing "H" during the game.
The ZZT community continues to be active, with more than four thousand ZZT worlds created since 1991. If you'd like to learn more, feel free to join the Museum of ZZT Discord server.
Click download now to get access to the following files: